Saturday, November 21, 2009

Different place, same caca

Anyone who followed me through my blog in Ecuador will certainly remember this post, when I explained the joy of eating Ecuadorian caca.

Well, I've just discovered that I love eating Palestinian caca too!  (Mom and Dad, aren't you proud?)

In the Palestinian dialect of Arabic, caca is the name for a fruit called persimmon in English.  It looks like this:


I'm not sure if it's a very commonplace fruit in North America.  I had never seen, let alone eaten, one of these guys before.  In fact, I only knew the word persimmon from a very nice Wendell Berry poem.

But let me tell ya, caca is delicious!  It is about the size of the average tomato.  It has a thick orange peel, which you can eat or pull away to reveal the light orange flesh inside.  The fruit tastes like a mild mango, softly sweet.  Very yummy.

So, tell me, have any of you eaten caca -- err, persimmon?

2 comments: